Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2005 :  15:49:01  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Red1 ; just a thought ; the 'old' Active Users mod also uses a Active Users Record, with the number of users online and the date of the record.
Is this something that could be done easily with this mod ?

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter
Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2005 :  22:29:48  Show Profile
> Red1 ; just a thought ; the 'old' Active Users mod also uses a Active Users Record, with the number of users online and the date of the record.

Not without adding another database field and query, which kinda defeats the 'essence' of this mod. But if you really want to, sure why not:)

And I still have no idea why the original code wasn't working for johnny bravo but if anyone else has trouble with the mod, I'd like to hear about it

Edited by - red1 on 26 January 2005 22:36:10
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2005 :  04:00:44  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
I reckoned that already....mmm. The problem now is that I already installed the Active Users mod, but I forgot to note down which version.
So, in order to succesfully install this mod, I need to trackback the changes by the previous version, but I don't know which changes that are ... *hits himself in the head...

Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2005 :  05:03:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by red1

> Red1 ; just a thought ; the 'old' Active Users mod also uses a Active Users Record, with the number of users online and the date of the record.

Not without adding another database field and query, which kinda defeats the 'essence' of this mod. But if you really want to, sure why not:)
You could always combine it with the Active Users Lite mod to display that information.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

goorootech

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 29 January 2005 :  23:48:52  Show Profile  Visit goorootech's Homepage
I just installed this mod (30th Jan 2005), looks fantastic until I did a quick test and found that the offline/online indicator is not working..

version 3.4.04
database type: SQL Server (running on our Windows 2003 Server)
strConnString = "driver={SQL Server};server=xxxxxxx;uid=xxxxxx;pwd=xxxxxxx;database=xxxxxdb" '## MS SQL Server 6.x/7.x/2000 (ODBC connection)

I'm currently logged in as an administrator and the other is logged in as an administrator on another computer. I get the other user marked as offline and the statistics also reflect that user as being not online. However, I DO see myself as online and in the statistics part as well..

Made all changes correctly.

Any ideas?

Edit: I noticed another person logged in but this time not from the same network (ie a remote user). Could it be active users on the same public IP address (our webserver is on our lan where the two persons had logged in on two different PCs), despite differing usernames, are considered only one person? This new person logged in via the web...

cheers,
Jason

Edited by - goorootech on 30 January 2005 04:58:41
Go to Top of Page

Jorrit787
Average Member

Netherlands
681 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2005 :  00:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Jorrit787's Homepage  Send Jorrit787 an AOL message  Send Jorrit787 a Yahoo! Message
Is it possible to just use the Online/Offline indicator on topic.asp without adding the rest of the code? If not, is there an add-on for the Active Users Lite MOD that does this? I looked on SnitzBitz, but no add-ons were listed.

eXtremeGossip
Go to Top of Page

The Impact

Australia
398 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2005 :  00:56:17  Show Profile
You can use this MOD, just don't make any changes to the default.asp and don't put the active_users.asp into your forum directory.
Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2005 :  05:01:27  Show Profile
the mod uses your IP address to track if you're online, so if you're sharing an IP add, only one of you can be online.

My Mods:
New Events Calendar
New Non-database Active Users
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2005 :  06:49:52  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
mmm...that's a major drawback! I'm glad I didn't revert oxle back to it's original state to implement this version!

Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2005 :  07:04:58  Show Profile
gee thanks

Edited by - red1 on 30 January 2005 07:06:16
Go to Top of Page

jay_v

85 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2005 :  07:12:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by marcelgoertz

mmm...that's a major drawback! I'm glad I didn't revert oxle back to it's original state to implement this version!

Yeah I agree with red, this was really uncalled for, especially since this can easily be fixed. These guys make mods just for sharing their code and they don't get any payment for this. There's really no need to say "I'm so glad I didn't use your mod"
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2005 :  15:07:10  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by red1

gee thanks

no,please be offended. I simply didn't expect this to be a consequence of this version of Active Users.
And, as many of my users come from the same company (e.g. the same proxy/firewall) they will show up all online or all offline at a certain moment in time. And that's not very practical.

And, as I needed to prepare my code intesively to make it ready to implement your new version, I spared a lot of time by not doing so after reading about that.

If tháts already considered an insult....

Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  02:14:50  Show Profile
All I'm asking for is a little common decency. There are a lot of mod writers here, and we don't expect everyone to like the mods, but I don't need this. I have generally found the Snitz community to be receptive and great at providing constructive criticism, and I have never before encountered a post that says "I'm glad I didn't use your mod." Whatever your reason, there's no excuse for being rude.

and what is this supposed to mean?!?

quote:
Originally posted by marcelgoertz
If tháts already considered an insult....

I'll probably get banned for this, but you're being a troll now, and a little bit of a ***. I can certainly do well without your catty comments in this thread. In fact, please stop posting here at all.

To everyone else, I'll probably update this mod one more time to fix that IP thing. Until then, look for resident expert marcelgoertz to give you his better version of the active users mod.

My Mods:
New Events Calendar
New Non-database Active Users
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  02:21:42  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Red1 ; I really didn't mean that remark to be so harsh. I think we've got a miscommunication on our hand here, with an outcome that's way too big. I didn't mean to insult you!
I merely stated that I didn't know on forehand that your mod worked based on IP addresses, and that it would show two users using the same IP as online/offline, just because of their IP's.
Tháts why I said that I was glad I got to know that BEFORE I installed your mod, sparing me AND you with stupid questions about 'Why are all my users showing up as online now?'
That's why. And don't start calling me 'the resident expert', cause I never said I'm an expert at anything. Come on...who's being the troll now ????

Go to Top of Page

jay_v

85 Posts

Posted - 04 February 2005 :  14:31:18  Show Profile
I guess he took it hard, eh? If you didn't like the mod, you shouldn't have posted it here. After all, this topic is for his mod, not your site.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07